As they waited in the Upper Room in prayer something powerful happened that changed their lives forever, the gift of the Holy Ghost was poured out.
“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4)
SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES
Notice those gathered were “all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Speaking with other tongues is the sign that you were baptized in the Holy Ghost. The Apostle Paul taught much on speaking in other tongues.
- Praying in other tongues is your spirit talking to God. Paul taught when you are speaking in other tongues you are not speaking unto men but unto God. This makes perfect sense because an “unknown tongue” is unknown and no one can understand what you are saying. “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto God: for no man understandeth him…” (1 Corinthians 14:2)
- When praying in an unknown tongue you are, in the spirit, speaking mysteries. A mystery is something that baffles natural understanding and cannot be explained outside of faith. The mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven belong to the sons of God (Matthew 13:11). When you are praying in other tongues you are praying out the mysteries of God for your life. “Howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” (1 Corinthians 14:2)
- You are a spirit, have a soul and live in a body (1 Thessalonians 5:23). Praying in the spirit strengthens your spirit man. When praying in other tongues you edify (build up) your spirit (Jude 20). This means you are strengthening your spirit man when praying in an unknown tongue. “He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth (builds up) himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.” (1 Corinthians 14:4)
- When you pray in an unknown tongue your spirit, not your mind, is praying unto God.
- Praying in other tongues is the most effective way to pray because you do not know how to pray as you should. By praying in other tongues the Holy Spirit helps overcome this prayer weakness.
- The baptism of the Holy Ghost is different than salvation. The Holy Ghost is a free gift from God. The baptism of the Holy Spirit cannot be bought, earned or deserved. He is a gift available to the born again believer.
- The Holy Ghost empowers you to see visions, dream dreams and prophesy. The purpose of prophecy is to glorify Christ, and for edification, exhortation and comfort (1 Corinthians 14:3).
- The Holy Ghost is promised to the repentant. Holy Ghost baptism is available after salvation. Peter offered instruction: repent, get water baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Speaking in other tongues and prophecy is a sign of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.” (1 Corinthians 14:14). “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit (himself) maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” (Romans 8:26)
RECEIVING THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST
Just because you got saved doesn’t mean you received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Many were saved in Philip’s ministry that did not get baptized in the Holy Spirit until the apostles went to see how the meetings were going. Philip flowed in the power of the Holy Spirit when preaching in Samaria. Many were saved, healed, and delivered. There were even miracles, salvations and water baptisms but none were baptized in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. Unfortunately we see this today but God showed us the better way when the apostles got involved in Philips ministry, “Then laid they their hands on them and they received the Holy Ghost.”
“But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.”(Acts 8:12-20)
We consider repentance from sin, faith in Christ the Lamb of God, and water baptism as evidence of the Christian faith and personal salvation leading to eternal life. These in Samaria were saved by faith in Christ but not yet baptized in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues until the apostles laid hands on them, and then the Holy Ghost was given.
“But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy” (Acts 2:6-18).
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call” (Acts 2:38-39).
When Peter preached to the gentiles in Cornelius’ house they were all filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues and afterward were baptized in water.
“While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.” (Acts 10:44-48)
“And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”(Acts 19:1-6)
The baptism of the Holy Ghost is available to you. Get filled today and let the Holy Ghost lead you and guide you in all truth. The manifestation of the Kingdom of God belongs to you.
JESUS IS GOD http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-1BH
DO IT http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-27m
YOU MUST BELIEVE GOD http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-Fc
A HEALTH AND WEALTH CHRISTIAN http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-24v
JESUS HEALS http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-27K
SUPER VICTORY http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-29y
BETHEL TEMPLE http://wp.me/p2M7AJ-29r
Free Christian Ebooks http://walthope.tripod.com